Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Article # 2 Technology

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8311371/significant-advances-being-made-concussion-research-universities-nationwide

This article and video explains the technology that researchers at universities around the country have used to detect and measure the  impact of blows to the head in real time during a game or practice.  The technology has been dubbed the "hit system" While reading this article I had an internal conflict. The medical understanding of the technology vs. the player side. The medical side of me completely agrees with the "hit system". It is a great way to monitor player shots to head. One of the best perks of this system in my opinion is if there is hit to the head of a 90g force or higher the pager of the doctor on the scene of the game or practice is alerted. The "hit system" shows the advances that are being made in concussion research. On the other hand the player side of me is skeptical of this system. Reason being is a computer is determining my ability to play the game I love. I do know that concussions, head injuries in general are very serious but it would not sit well with me if I had to leave a game because of data that a computer collected. I see a flaw in this system because the pain tolerance of a hit to the head differs from player to player. Currently I do not see how this flaw can be fixed to ensure a fail proof system.

No comments:

Post a Comment